What do you want to do today?
“We are like dwarfs sitting on the shoulders of giants.” ― John of Salisbury, MetalogiconTweet
- A Tale of Two Colors. Why Was the Devil Colored in Black and not in Red in Medieval Manuscripts?Red devils, they are so popular now that they dictate the features of fictional characters when they’re supposed to be threatening, dangerous and evil. Before the 16th century and prior to the Reformation, however, the color red was the noblest of all, second only to gold—and white, maybe. Red is the color of blood and … Read more
- The Wild Boar. The Age of Empires 2 Medieval Hunting Simulator Overview with Historical CommentaryAge of Empires 2 is a Real Time Strategy game that works on a very simple principle: the more ressources you have, the more military you can produce. You just can't ignore the free food boars represent. You need it. How to get it, however, is another matter… for which I'm fully prepared to go … Read more
- A Cold Case of Counterfeit History: Joan of Arc, the Secret Royal Princess.Buckle up, girls and boys. We’re about to dive into counterfeit history. When historians don’t find authentic documents to prove their hypotheses, what do they do? The honest ones acknowledge their ignorance. There’s nothing glamour about it. That’s why the others fabricate the documents they need to prove their point—when they even bother to fabricate … Read more
- The Political Structures of the Holy Roman Empire and the Kingdom of France (from the 9th to the 16th Century). A Brief OverviewHow were the Holy Roman Empire and Middle Ages France different in term of political structure? What led to those differences?
- Medieval Memes #5A fresh new badge of medieval memes!
- How Joan of Arc DiedThe AskHistorians Subreddit invited me to pitch in on their latest Tuesday Trivia event. This week theme was FIRE. If you know me you guess by then what I decided to talk about. Again. Joan of Arc.
This is my love letter to you.
You’ve found your way on the World Wide Web to my precious little blog. I will be honest with you. I was judged unfit to fullfil my PhD in Medieval Literature and that is why I’m hiding my real name under the alias ‘Asinus Docet”.
Nevertheless, I acquired a my Master’s Degree in Medieval History in the outmost honest and straighforward fashion. I was not the best of my promotion, but I achieved a Magna cum laude nonetheless. Nothing can take it away from me. Sure, it isn’t much… yet it is enough for me to be ascertain myself as a true and sound medievalist.
I turned myself away from academic writing. I try to have fun when I write. Therefore I’m not always the most serious historian. I turn illuminations into memes. I narrate fun facts to the sole purpose to amuse you. I rarely delve in depth into any matter, though it happens sometimes. I also spend some days answering question about the Middle Ages on Reddit.
English is not my native language, so you’ll find grammatical mistakes in my writing. Don’t hesitate to share them to me so that I can correct my texts as fast as possible. I do also write in French, sometimes.
My passion for Medieval History was aggravated by movies, books and video games. I do not turn my gaze away from the pop-culture. I like to tackle it down. Read my blog, and you’ll know more.
Thank you for stopping by, most sincerely. Don’t hesitate to leave a like, to drop a comment, or to share anything that you liked here on social media. Spread the Love.